Money is tight, schedule are full, road trips and the desire not to cook. There are plenty of reasons why we can’t eat at home for every meal and why going to a high quality, real food restaurant isn’t always an option.
So sometimes we just have to do our best when we are out and about and try to pick the better option.
Here are some ‘better’ options the next time your stuck with seemingly no heathy options.
- Bag of raw veggies (with hummus or salsa)
- Broasted Chicken (have the whole family on a car trip? Just be careful with your sodium intake along with this its pretty high already)
- Grilled chicken from the deli, not as clean as home but better 🙂
- High Quaality lunch meat
- Hard boiled eggs
- Any Fruit
- Plain yogurt with fuit
Quick Service Options: (*Many of these still have lots of added ingrediants for flavor and preservation but its still ‘better’ than other options)
- Panera order ahead. Place an order on your phone and pay for it then drive on over and pick it up off the shelf. Most anything there is good but its not all low calorie 🙂
- McD’s Grilled chicken sandwich ½ or no sauce and remove ½ the bun (trust me those carbs have no value) and apple dippers, don’t use the dip! Salad with no dressing or very little
- Arby’s- Roast Turkey and Swiss sandwhich isn’t too bad.
- LeAnn Chin- anything not breaded and with brown rice even better get the bowl for portion control.
- Chipotle – Salad with chicken, fajita veggies, beans and salsa of your choice feel free to add cheese or sour cream but do a ½ portion and add guacamole for another healthy fat.
- Taco Bell- 2 Fresco style chicken soft tacos or Fresco Style Grilled Steak Soft Tacos
Sit down resturants with in car pick up:
- Order as simple as possiable, thankfully real food with whole grains is a trend right now so it should be pretty easy to find something. Again though many of the things you think are straight forward have a lot of additives to keep them fresh.