Do you ever wonder “what more can I do?”
I have been wondering that lately. How green can I be? Where is the line between what is practical and what is possiable? I want to be as green as I can be but not to the point of affecting my family. I don’t mean that I don’t want to ‘inconvienance them’ I’m talking time here. Many green/eco-friendly things are time consuming. For example:
- Gardening– I have to water every other day (drout) for 5-10 min and weed once a week for 15 min or so that would be an average of 45 min a week.
- Cloth Diapers– Washing doesn’t take but a min (less than going to a store and buying a new box) however I try to line dry whenever possiable, the sun is a magical thing. That takes about 10 min to hang and 5 min to pull down every other day plus maybe 5-10 min of organizing in her dresser. I would say I average 1 hour and 15 min just hanging and putting away diapers.
- Recycling– The tossing of the can into the recycle bag vs the garbage is the same but the work to rinse out the jar/can remove the paper or break down the cardboard takes a moment here and there. I would say maybe 15 min per week.
Just these 3 things every week average around 2 hours of my time, and I would NEVER change that. However it does make me wonder about adding other time consuming things to my life. Where is the line between eco-friendly and family irresponsable? I think I’m right on that line and I’m going to carefully walk it until I can figure out what to do next….or I can teach Apple how to handel the garden and recycling 😉
So for now I’m going to stick to:
- Reuseable everything for food, bottles, straws, napkins….
- Products made from real ingrediants (cleaners, soaps…)
- Cloth Diapers
- Buying as local as possiable
- Eating clean (most of the time)
And many more things I’m sure I can’t remember but that seems like a pretty good list to me!