Saturday I hung out with my little cousin for part of the day. We ended up at the Mall of America waiting to meet up with his family and in the rotunda they had a Zumba demonstration (for the video game.) The crowed looked like they were having so much fun!
What is Zumba? According to their web site
“Zumba® Fitness is the Latin-inspired dance-fitness program that blends red-hot international music, created by Grammy Award-winning producers, and contagious steps to form a “fitness-party” that is downright addictive.”I had been thinking about attending the class at my gym and the demo sold me! So I went last night for the first time
So here are a few hints for you that I learned during my first class.
- Watch a few beginner videos on You Tube first, just to get the feel of it.
- Don’t wear running shoes. I found this one out the hard way. You need something in the middle. Sticky enough so your not sliding everywhere yet smooth enough you can move. It also needs to have impact cousion and arch support. The best article I’ve found is here. It has great suggestions too. If you really want you can also buy specific Zumba shoes from their website.
- The teacher moves around alot to keep everyone engaged, so if she moves out of your feild of vision find another person in the class you can see clearly and seems to know what they are doing and follow them.
- Keep moving!!! Its a lot harder to get back into it if you stop all together. If you get tired just go back to a basic move for a while or even just march in place.
- It helps to get into it. The more you ‘dance’ and not just move the easier it is. So dont’ worry about looking silly and just dance.
Do you do Zumba? Have anymore hints for me?
2 comments on “Zumba!!”
This is on the list for my 1001 day project. I had e-mailed someone about classes her in MV but they never got back to me. I am thinking of getting the DVD’s and doing them at home if we end up moving into the 1st floor apartment in SLP.
I’ve been taking Zumba. It’s so fun!! I definitely feel like a total dork with my bad dance moves, but if you can just get over that, it’s a ton of fun.