There are lots of posts out there about no waste lunches. But basically they all talk about the how. How you pack it (reusable bags and tupperware.) How you avoid disposables (pack your own cutlery and cloth napkins) and the other how toos.
I would like to point out some of the whats and how to avoid the last min grab a frozen meal craziness. Lets face it we don’t always have time to make lunch the night before, or the morning of. Here are a bunch of ideas for things you can grab quick to stay healthy and have low waste.
- Make some sandwiches and stick them in the freezer, this keeps the bread from getting soggy and by the time lunch comes around they will be all thawed out.
- Have some frozen fruit same as above when lunch comes around it will be ready to eat.
- Buy Cheese in bulk and not individually wrapped. slice it up and re-use plastic wrap to keep it fresh for a day or two.
- Buy a big tub of yogurt and divide it up in small Tupperware as soon as you get home so they are ready to grab and go.
- Easy fruits and veggies, apples, grapes, carrot sticks (pre-cut) snap peas, and celery (pre-cut) bananas. PS by pre cut I mean by you, cut up and in a guess what? Tupperware.
- A handful of bulk nuts goes a long ways plus they are both filling and full of protine .
- Hard boiled eggs have their own wrapping!
*Click on photos for sources*