The bathroom can be one of the hardest places to be green. Lotions, shampoos, make up and cleansers all loaded with chemicals but so enticing for how they can make your hair/body/face look better. A hot shower feels so good (especially in the winter) but is a big waste of water. So here are a few ways that I have greened my bathroom routine.
My nightly routine:
- Brush my teeth. I get my toothbrush wet, add toothpaste, brush, spit, rinse toothbrush quickly.
- Wash my face. The water from washing my face cleans up the spit without a separate rinse. I wet down my face bar, turn the water off. Lather up my hands and scrub my face for at least 30 seconds. Wet a washcloth and clean off my face using both sides and every corner. Rinse the washcloth and hang it for the next night.
- Remove contacts. My hands are already clean from washing my face so no need for a seperate wash.
- Lotion after all this is done, so I don’t have to wash off my hands. I use an all natural product so that I’m not rubbing chemicals directly into my skin. However I will say that with a change of body soaps I’ve not needed lotion nearly as often.
- I use bar soap for everything, body hair and face! Less packaging, minimal and natural ingredients and long lasting. (except when my husband uses it) I found a local place where I can pick up my soap, scrubs and lip balms. I like Apple Valley Natural soaps. But if you have a local place use it! If you order from AV let them know I sent you. (I don’t get anything I just want them to know.)
- Using bar shampoo is easy, just rub it directly on your scalp a few times and then use your fingers to later it up.
- Multi-task. If you have to let your conditioner sit for a few min use that time to shave.
- Don’t wash your hair everyday this will save water, soap and your hair.
Have any tips for me? Leave a comment and you could win a lip balm from AV!
PS if you like my new signature it was made by MaryAnne at Scrappy Gifts.