Gummy Bear’s Birth Story {Rated PG-13}

PG-13 details added in teal. 

Well it all started Thursday night, I was having contractions here and there but nothing consistant. I couldn’t sleep so  I got up and took a shower for some reason I really wanted to shave….anyway after that I got a few restless hours of sleep. Friday morning I just had this feeling we were close, but I didn’t know how close,  I told Mac and my Mom my guess was Sunday.

Contractions became a little more regular Friday morning (around 15 min apart) and I went in for my 38 Week check up at 10:00 AM while Mac’s cousin watched Apple.  Turns out I was 3 cm dilated and still having fairly frequent contractions. My Midwife went ahead and stripped my membranes to see if we could get things moving along little bit (so I didn’t have a long drawn out labor like I did with Apple .)

Luckily when I got home it was nap time and both Apple and I slept for about 2 hours!! Then my friend Meagan came over and we went out to lunch. I stopped Contractions were intense enough at this point that I had Meagan doing all the driving.  I would close my eyes during many of them, and focus on my breathing not really a good thing while driving. Anyway we went to Noodles and Co where I sort of ate some Japanese Pan Noodles….I think Apple at as much as I did. Then we went to Office Max where I geeked out as much as possible between contractions and bought a few things to organize my running magazine articles. Yep I’m weird, I wanted to work on that while in labor as a distraction (that didn’t happen.) Anyway when we got home I told Mac that I was no longer capable of watching Apple, and proved it by not only letting her play with a box of dog treats but almost letting her eat one.

It was about 3:15 and I laid down to try and accurately time my contractions. They were about 8-10 min apart and I just played around with my iPad and tried to sleep off and on until I couldn’t anymore. I got up and took a shower to see if that would help, it did a little but not enough, then I decided to take a bath. Thats when I realized that the contractions were getting closer together. I got out and did a little more timing and quickly realized they were getting closer and closer and didn’t seem to be slowing down or becoming steady at all (at that point they were between 5 and 6 min apart.) I called my midwife and after a quick chat we decided it was time to go in and get checked. Mac’s parents came over and picked up Apple and we were on our way.

We arrived at the hospital around 7:45 PM and after a quick assessment I was admitted at 6 cm dialated.  We moved up to the room right away (8:00) and I had to lay down for 20 min of ‘tape’ (monitoring the contractions and babies heartbeat.) I was laying on my side with my midwife and a delivery nurse at the foot of my bed and Mac up by my head. Two other nurses were diligently working on getting the water birth tub ready. Pretty soon it became apparent to me that I was not going to make it in the tub. I didn’t know if I was going to make it off the bed, but I thought I would try to use the birthing stool. This is when I kind of took over,  the lights in the room were dim, I asked Mac to grab two essential oils lavender and peace and calming. I liked the smell of peace and calming better so I  had him put it on my wrists. During each contraction I would bring my hands up by my head to either hold his hand or the bed rail and I could smell it, that was so helpful. I was back in the zone and started talking to the Midwife, I asked her what some other options were if I ended up stuck in bed (back was not an option so much more painful. She let me know that laying on my side was actually a great position, thats when I decided to not even try to move, good decisions because right after that my water broke.  So your water can either leak or break….mine broke, let me tell you it felt like a water ballon broke inside me. It didn’t hurt at all but there was a pop and a gush of water. I had on maternity capris and they were soaked. At this point my shyness flew out the window and the capris were gone. With every contraction the nurse would talk me through and Ryan would hold my hand, her voice was so soothing….kudos to you Lindsey!

I realized it was time to push and after holding back for the first 2 or 3 times to make sure I told the midwife and  started pushing, about 3 pushes later I thought I had felt a head. Just like last time its like a crazy urge to have a bowel movement. This time however I wanted to make sure I was really ready before I started pushing, last time I pushed for quite a while. This time seemed a lot easier though not going to lie.  Remember we didn’t know for sure girl or boy when I thought I felt the head I asked  “Did you see her?” Then we both knew…. SHE was on her way. 2 pushes later there she was! 9:07 PM we met our 2nd girl.

We immediately did skin to skin and I healed her on my chest for at least 30 min before anyone else messed with her. I even nursed her right away. We waited for the umbilical cord to stop pulsing before Mac cut it and held off on the bath for a few hours. We just enjoyed our first few moments as parents to this new precious little girl. Not long after the cord was cut the midwife let me know it was time to birth the placenta. That actually surprised me I didn’t feel the urge like I did the first time around. Sure enough 2 pushes later that was done and the stomach massages started up. Bleh still not my favorite thing 🙂


One thought on “Gummy Bear’s Birth Story {Rated PG-13}

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *