Its summer and its getting hot so here are a few tips to stay green and stay cool at the same time.
- First, make sure to keep the sun out and the cool in by closing the window shades during the day.
- Clean or replace your air conditioning filter once a month to keep it working more efficiently.
- Dress for the weather, too many layers of tank tops can still make you hot.
- Avoid using heat-generating appliances such as ovens, washers, dryers or dishwashers, especially during the hottest part of the day. (Grill, eat raw, hang your lanundry, use a toaster oven instead of the big one)
- Use a programmable thermostat; set it at 78 degrees when you are home and 85 degrees when you are away.
- Use ceiling fans to keep air moving. You can run the most efficient ceiling fans eight hours a day for as little as 30 cents a month.
- Finally, whether you’re using central air or a window unit, make sure the output of the system is right for the size of the house or room you want to cool…or you could waste energy and money every month. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations or consult a knowledgeable dealer.